Charlotte Amalie is the bustling center of St. Thomas where you’ll find plenty of fantastic shops to visit as you walk through town. While it is famous for jewelry, there are many other outstanding stores and boutiques to visit where you can purchase unique souvenirs and gifts. The best part? St. Thomas has a thriving arts scene and downtown Charlotte Amalie is the first stop in experiencing arts on the island. Be sure to check out our many local talented artists and craftspeople. Their work will take your breath away! Here are several can’t miss stops in our beautiful downtown Charlotte Amalie.
- Tropical Creations is a wonderful, unique art gallery and boutique which celebrates the culture of the Virgin Islands and Caribbean at large. It’s owned by artist Tulip Fleming, who uses locally sourced materials in her works to create one-of-a-kind pieces that make for stunning souvenirs. Most items are handmade and these colorful artworks will make for eye-catching heirlooms that will delight for years to come. Visit her Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/TropicalCreationsVI/
- A favorite spot to drop in for a cup of tea and delicious eats, E’ Garden Tea House is the perfect place to grab a quick bite and do a bit of shopping. With a lovely assortment of both local and imported teas and delicious sandwiches, pastries, and welcoming atmosphere, E’ Garden Tea House is a great for an afternoon pick-me-up to recharge your batteries. They serve a scrumptious breakfast and lunch, including classics like quiche with a St. Thomas twist. http://esgardenteahouseandthings.com/
- Here’s another place to add to the list if you’re an art lover. Art Exchange is a non-profit community arts space that is committed to supporting local artists, sustainability, and people within the community. To this end, they offer entrepreneurship training programs for youth and women, arts, and agriculture-based learning programs, among others. Another goal of the organization is “to establish an economically sustainable enterprise that would help to stimulate the local economy and showcase the viability of the medicinal plant farming, bee rearing and eventually, essential oil production and eco-camp operation.” If you consider yourself someone who is interested in sustainable practices and how they play into a local agricultural system, you should definitely check out Art Exchange – you’ll be sure to learn a lot! https://www.facebook.com/groups/664102463742063/?hc_ref=SEARCH
- Fashionistas take note! Zora’s is the place to go for stunning and unique handmade accessories. They’re most well-known for their sandals which are custom-fitted and made to suit your tastes and needs. Choose the color, decoration, flat or wedge. And they even make sandals for both women and men! But there’s more to Zora’s than their fabulous footwear. Gorgeous jewelry, great bags, rugs, and other handcrafted items are aplenty in the shop. Zora’s also doubles as an art gallery which features work by local artists within St. Thomas’ thriving art community. http://wwhanw.zoracustomsandals.com/
- Arc Vodka is the first craft vodka brand to be produced on St. Thomas and is made from locally sourced ingredients. It’s infused with herbs found on the island which gives this delicious spirit a uniquely Caribbean flavor never before encountered in a vodka. Check them out at: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1159758730749283.1073741846.527704407288055&type=3